Services / Programs
Services We Offer
- Individual or group sessions with a Registered Dietitian
- Diabetes self management classes during the day or in the evening
- Medical Nutrition Therapy: More than just diabetes care, our program helps patients manage:
- Celiac Disease
- Diabetes (type 1, type 2, and gestational)
- Eating disorders
- Food allergies
- Renal disease
- Sports nutrition
- Spanish interpretation/Interprete de Espanol. Tenemos un intérprete de español para las citas sin costo adicional.
- Free monthly newsletter for persons interested in learning more about nutrition, diabetes and other resources in the community; email Jerri Mayberry to sign up (you do not need to be a patient of our center to sign up for the newsletter).
- A comprehensive Diabetes Resource Guide for Wilkes County
- "Dining with Diabetes:" A series of three classes that includes learning, demonstrations, and tasting of healthy foods. It is designed for people with diabetes and their family members, and offered in partnership with Cooperative Extension twice each year. Contact us to find out more information and the next available class.
Diabetes Self Management ProgramHave you or a loved one been diagnosed with diabetes? Want to learn how you can enjoy foods you love while caring for your health? Wilkes County Health Department has a program just for you! We are an accredited Diabetes Self Management Program by the American Diabetes Association. We also offer private nutrition counseling by Registered Dietitians.
Our group and/or individual education will include
- Answering your questions!
- Blood sugar meter instruction and interpreting blood sugar values
- Carbohydrate counting
- Complications of diabetes (long and short term)
- Exercise and goal setting-individualized to needs
- Getting to a healthy weight
- Insulin and medication instruction
- Managing stress and goal setting
- Meal planning
- Reading food labels
- Risk reductions
- Signs and treatment of hypoglycemia and hyperglycemia